Fondant potatoes - Turned out great! Very moist.. Today I am sharing this Fondant potatoes! A quick and easy dinner that is ready in under 25 minutes! Learn how to make a Fondant Potatoes recipe! I hope you enjoy this easy Fondant Potatoes recipe! These Fondant Potatoes from Delish.com perfectly melt in your mouth. Slice the ends off the potatoes so they lay flat on either side. Heat the oil in a pan over a medium-low heat.
Fondant potatoes — a classic French technique of cooking potatoes — sound sorta fancy, but they're nothing more than large rounds of russet potatoes that are browned in butter and roasted in the oven. But these potatoes are really an easy and luxurious side dish to a roast or steak. Josh Capon gives these potatoes the steakhouse treatment.
You can cook Fondant potatoes with 6 Ingredients and 6 steps. See the following guide!
Ingredients for Fondant potatoes:
- 3 x large maris piper potatoes.
- 100 x g butter.
- 100 x ml chicken stock.
- 3 x cloves garlic.
- few sprigs of thyme.
- salt and pepper.
Peel and cut the potatoes into the size and shape of a soap dish. They're a French fancy that's been the undoing of many a MasterChef contestant, but opinion is divided as to just how you cook them. Fondant potatoes are from the French cuisine with the word 'fondant' meaning "melting". Traditionally, fondant potatoes are peeled and cut into round, barrel-like shapes with the top and bottoms cut flat.
Step by step how to cook Fondant potatoes:
- Top and tail the potatoes, then cut in half, then with a small knife peel them (try to create a barrel shape). Slice the butter into 3mm pieces and arrange in the COLD frying pan, make sure the pan you use is oven proof..
- Score a crosshatch pattern on the larger edge of each potato half (this is optional but gives a nice presentation effect). Lay the presentation side down on top of the butter. Arrange the thyme sprigs and season with salt and pepper..
- Break the garlic cloves, add them to the pan and transfer to the stove over a medium heat..
- Simmer in the butter until it starts to brown, do not allow it to burn, add the chicken stock, cover with baking paper.
- Place a spoon on top to prevent the paper blowing off in the fan oven, and roast at 200c for about 20 minutes. At this stage turn the potatoes over and baste before returning to the oven for another 15 minutes or so until cooked, test this by inserting a sharp knife..
- You can serve these immediately,(or reheat the next day) they are perfect with just about any meat dish, of course replace the chicken stock for a vegetable one they'll be just as good (well almost?) these images are taken from my youtube channel feel free to watch it there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y25SyB2Yza8.
Fondant potatoes end up having a bit of pan sauce with them. I am guessing that our lack of interest in fondant potatoes also has to do with the fact that, until recently, we didn't really have pans that could. Fondant potatoes are a way of preparing the tubers so they are very soft and creamy on the inside, with a crisp crust on the outside. Fondant potatoes have been a favorite in France for decades. The simple and elegant dish infuses plenty of flavor into the soft and savory potatoes.