Bicol express - Easy to do and Very moist even after warming up leftovers the next day!. Today I am sharing this Bicol express! A quick and easy dinner that is ready in under 30 minutes! Bicol Express is pure comfort food! With pork cubes cooked in coconut milk and chili peppers, it's rich, creamy, spicy and delicious! Serve with steamed rice for a hearty and big flavored meal! This Bicol Express Recipe involvesf pork slices cooked in coconut milk. There are stories saying that Bicol express was conceptualized and first cooked by Ms.
Cely Kalaw in her Manila restaurant. Bicol Express is a spicy pork stew cooked in coconut milk which is definitely one of the most Bicol Express has it's funny, if not weird, name from the train that travels the Naga(Bicol)-Manila route. Bicol Express, known natively in Bikol as sinilihan (lit. spiced with chili), is a popular Filipino dish which was popularized in the district of Malate, Manila but made in traditional Bicolano style.
You can cook Bicol express with 6 Ingredients and 6 steps. See the following guide!
Ingredients for Bicol express:
- 1 1/2 cubed pork shoulders.
- 1 onion diced.
- 3 cloves garlic (minced).
- 1 serrano pepper/labuyo (or more accdg to spice preferences).
- 3 tbsp shrimp paste.
- 1 cup coconut milk.
Bicol is always associated with spicy food. The thought of Bicol would send a person's imagination of images and scents of sili (chili pepper) and coconut milk. It holds a special place in the hearts of food-loving Filipinos. Bicol Express is a Filipino dish of browned pork cooked with finger chilies and coconut cream.
Step by step how to cook Bicol express:
- Sauté pork shoulder on a pan set on high heat with continuous mixing until fat browned and fat is rendered. Remove excess oil..
- Add garlic cook until browned and onions until transluscent..
- Add shrimp paste and mix until incorporated with ingredients..
- Pour coconut milk and let it simmer for 5 mins before adding chili. (this is to make sure that the spice is evenly distributed to the ingredients)..
- Continue mixing until sauce thickens depending on your preference. (Some like it with a little sauce, I like it a bit dry.) Don't it will taste great just the same.😊.
- Best served with white steamed rice. Enjoy..
If you cook Bicol Express the way Speedy does, you get better texture, flavor and color. Filipino recipes and Filipino dishes in general aren't that known for its use of spices or for being hot spicey dishes unlike its neighboring Southeast Asian countries. Try this Bicol Express Recipe from Bicol. The Bicolanos are famous for their Bicol Express a hot The original Bicol Express Recipe is a stew made from long chilies also known as birds eye chili. Named after the train that travels between Manila and Bicol, this popular Bicolano dish will make you reach for water faster than the bullet train.