Crab in Coconut Squash Sauce - Filipino Ginataan na Alimasag - It turned out very good but i think i could have cooked it a little longer.. Today I am sharing this Crab in Coconut Squash Sauce - Filipino Ginataan na Alimasag! A quick and easy dinner that is ready in under 15 minutes!
You can cook Crab in Coconut Squash Sauce - Filipino Ginataan na Alimasag with 12 Ingredients and 6 steps. See the following guide!
Ingredients for Crab in Coconut Squash Sauce - Filipino Ginataan na Alimasag:
- 2-3 large blue crabs (pick heavy ones, means it's fatty).
- 1 large Onion, chopped.
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped.
- 1 thumb ginger, chopped.
- Milk from 1 coconut.
- 1/4 slice kalabasa or squash, cubed.
- 1 bunch Kangkong or water spinach.
- to taste Patis or Fish sauce,.
- 0.25 pc chicken broth cube to taste (optional).
- to taste Salt and pepper.
- Cooking oil.
- 1-2 long chilies (optional), sliced.
Step by step how to cook Crab in Coconut Squash Sauce - Filipino Ginataan na Alimasag:
- Saute garlic, ginger, and onions in oil in a deep pan or wok..
- Add the coconut milk. Add the cubed squash. Chop off the bottom stems (thick and hard parts) of the kangkong/water spinach. Get the leaves and young stems only, chop coarsely. Add to the pan..
- Simmer and cover until squash is tender. Mash squash coarsely with spatula. Season with patis (fish sauce, few drops), salt and pepper to taste..
- Add halved crabs (make sure you have cleaned and removed the grime, separated the claws, and cut in half). Add the claws. Cutting in half lets the fat melt in the sauce, making it delicious. You can also opt to add the crabs whole (if you prefer to enjoy the crab head cover with all it's goodness) and just adjust the taste with seasoning. Don't remove the claws as well if ever, as the fat will seep out of the shell..
- Add a small portion of a chicken or seafood broth cube- not all, adjust to your taste. Mix in well..
- Cook covered until crab changes color (bright orange). Add sliced chilies if desired. Mix in. Serve while hot. :).