Pinoy-style Onion Soup - It turned out very good but i think i could have cooked it a little longer.. Today I am sharing this Pinoy-style Onion Soup! A quick and easy dinner that is ready in under 45 minutes!
You can cook Pinoy-style Onion Soup with 10 Ingredients and 9 steps. See the following guide!
Ingredients for Pinoy-style Onion Soup:
- 3 each Large red onions.
- 1 tsp Sugar.
- 1 pinch Salt.
- 1 pinch Ground black pepper.
- 1/2 stick Butter.
- 2 tbsp Canned sliced mushrooms (optional).
- 1 liter Water.
- 1 each Beef or chicken bouillon cube.
- 4 each Medium-sized eggs.
- 3 each Stale or day-old pan de sal.
Step by step how to cook Pinoy-style Onion Soup:
- Peel and rinse the onions. Slice in half and slice each half into crescents before cutting in half again..
- Heat your soup pan and melt the butter until slightly bubbly..
- Add in the onions and cook under low to medium heat, stirring occassionally until the onions are well-coated with butter..
- Add the sugar and salt and continue to cook under low heat until the onions turn a golden to dark brown. You may add the mushrooms and saute slightly at this point. IMPORTANT NOTE: Be patient if the caramelizing of the onion slices take a while. You do not want high heat and risk burning your onions. :).
- Add the water and bouillon cube. Alternatively, you can use beef or chicken stock if you have it available. *Note: Prepared store-bought stock is not readily available in the Philippines versus beef or chicken cubes, making this the usual option for Pinoy cooks. :).
- Keep at medium heat and boil for about 15-30 minutes, adding the ground pepper in and whatever additional spices you would like. The longer you boil, the more flavorful the soup will be..
- While the soup is simmering, slice your pan de sal (or bread of choice) horizontally into 1/4-inch thick slices. This will be your soup's "topping"..
- Turn off the heat once soup is cooked down to desired flavor..
- To serve, crack a whole egg into your soup bowl and pour your hot soup over it. Top with your bread slices..