Turmeric Arroz Caldo (Filipino Chicken Congee w a Twist) - Lugaw w Brown Red Rice - Easy to do and Very moist even after warming up leftovers the next day!. Today I am sharing this Turmeric Arroz Caldo (Filipino Chicken Congee w a Twist) - Lugaw w Brown Red Rice! A quick and easy dinner that is ready in under 25 minutes!
You can cook Turmeric Arroz Caldo (Filipino Chicken Congee w a Twist) - Lugaw w Brown Red Rice with 18 Ingredients and 11 steps. See the following guide!
Ingredients for Turmeric Arroz Caldo (Filipino Chicken Congee w a Twist) - Lugaw w Brown Red Rice:
- 4 small red onions, roughly chopped.
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped.
- 1/2 a chicken, in slices.
- 1 big knob ginger, sliced lengthwise.
- 4-5 c water.
- 1/2 Chicken bullion or stock cube.
- 1/4 Beef bullion or stock cube (optional).
- 1/2-3/4 c brown & red rice (washed & mixed).
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder.
- to taste Salt and pepper.
- 1/2 a deck-size pork belly for garnish, chopped (optional).
- 2-3 cloves garlic for garnish, chopped.
- 1 thumb ginger for garnish, chopped (optional).
- 1 small red onion for garnish, chopped (substituted for scallions).
- 2-3 stems (not stalks) Celery with leaves for garnish (optional).
- 1 squeeze kalamansi per bowl (garnish).
- Few drops chili oil (optional garnish for spiciness).
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil.
Step by step how to cook Turmeric Arroz Caldo (Filipino Chicken Congee w a Twist) - Lugaw w Brown Red Rice:
- Heat 1T oil in a sauce casserole pan. Add onions, then garlic. Sauté..
- Add the (salt generously) chicken pieces then cover. Let the juices come out, then turn on the other side. Season with pepper to taste..
- Note on ginger: if you're not fond of chewing ginger pieces in your dish, slice them big enough so you can remove them after cooking..
- Add the sliced ginger. In a cup of water, stir in the Turmeric and pour in. Drop in the bullion or stock cubes. Mix around then cover for a few minutes..
- Then add two more cups of water and pour in the washed rice. Cover and let the rice cook..
- Check your rice, check your seasoning. Add salt, stock cube, more water as desired..
- While the rice continues cooking, prepare your garnish. In a pan, heat the remaining oil. Sauté the chopped pork belly (optional, tastes great when sprinkled on top with garlic) and garlic until golden. I added ginger, as I'm fond of fried ginger, and also adds to the flavor. When crisp, but not burnt, remove and set aside..
- I ran out of scallions so I fried some chopped onions instead. Set aside. I also chopped up a couple stems of celery, adds a nice subtle freshness to the dish..
- When the rice is cooked, if it's too thick add a bit more water as desired. Mix well..
- Serve in a bowl and sprinkle the fried garnishes and chopped celery or scallions on top. Add a squeeze of kalamansi or lemon/lime. Eat while hot. Enjoy. (In photo: I added chili powder on mine 😝).
- This is perfect for cold nights!.