Sinigang na Hipon (Filipino Shrimp Tamarind/Sour Soup) - Turned out great! Very moist.. Today I am sharing this Sinigang na Hipon (Filipino Shrimp Tamarind/Sour Soup)! A quick and easy dinner that is ready in under 45 minutes! Sinigang na Hipon is a type of Filipino sour soup, wherein shrimp is used as the main ingredient. This dish also includes a variety of vegetables such as daikon radish, snake How to Cook Sinigang na Hipon. This dish is quick and easy to cook. Learn how to cook Sinigang na Hipon with this quick and easy recipe. A variation of the beloved Filipino sour soup dish that is cooked with shrimp with tamarind as a souring agent.
Sinigang is one of the most popular and favorite Filipino dishes among locals. It is right there with Adobo although. Sinigang is a comforting Filipino sour soup that uses tamarind, guava, green mango, or any other sour fruit as the base.
You can cook Sinigang na Hipon (Filipino Shrimp Tamarind/Sour Soup) with 12 Ingredients and 5 steps. See the following guide!
Ingredients for Sinigang na Hipon (Filipino Shrimp Tamarind/Sour Soup):
- 1 lb shrimp with heads (cleaned, deveined and trimmed).
- 1 large onion quartered.
- 2 medium sized tomatoes quartered.
- 1 ginger sliced.
- 100 g water spinach (cut in 3 inches length).
- 50 g green okra (cut in half diagonally).
- 50 g string beans (cut in 2-3 inches length).
- 1-2 pieces green long chili/pepper.
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce.
- 1 pack sinigang mix or tamarind soup base mix.
- 6-8 cups water.
- Optional: Radish sliced (labanos), eggplant quartered.
I used tamarind because it's readily available where I live, and I'm more familiar with it. You can make sinigang with any vegetables you're comfortable with, as well as any meat of. This Filipino seafood recipe is a good alternative to meat dishes specially during the Lenten season. It used to be that households use real raw tamarind fruit, where the juice is extracted by setting up the fruit in hot water to soften, mashed and strained leaving a sour tamarind flavor juice.
Step by step how to cook Sinigang na Hipon (Filipino Shrimp Tamarind/Sour Soup):
- Pour water in a deep pot and bring to a boil..
- Throw in onions, tomatoes, and ginger with the sinigang mix/tamarind soup base powder and cook for about 5 minutes..
- Add shrimp and optional eggplant and cook for about 5 minutes..
- Add string beans, green okra, green long pepper, fish sauce, and optional radish and cook for 3 more minutes..
- Add water spinach right before turning off the heat. Let it stand with the pot cover on for about 3 minutes to cook. Serve hot with white rice and enjoy!.
Great recipe for Sinigang na Hipon (Filipino Shrimp Tamarind/Sour Soup). A comforting, quick, simple, and tasty Sinigang na Hipon recipe. Sinigang is a popular Filipino dish. It is a sour soup that uses tamarind as it's base flavor, it can be cooked with fish, meat, shrimp, and vegetables. This soup uses shrimp as the main ingredient.