Smoked mussel and saffron soup - It turned out very good but i think i could have cooked it a little longer.. Today I am sharing this Smoked mussel and saffron soup! A quick and easy dinner that is ready in under 25 minutes! None in my experience suffer more than smoked mussels. Oddly shaped, they seem to be conjured from some But put mussels in a can and you wreck everything that's lovely about them: Usually smoked, these sad morsels lose their delicacy and become chalky. This smooth creamy soup with saffron and makes the best dinner-party starter. Garnished with mussels it has a touch of luxury but is easy to prepare. Put the mussels and liquor, potato, sautéed vegetables and cream into a blender or food processor and blitz until the mix is completely smooth.
While the soup cooks, pick the meat from the mussels. Discard the shells and any mussels that haven't opened. Season, to taste, with the lime juice and salt and freshly ground black pepper.
You can cook Smoked mussel and saffron soup with 17 Ingredients and 17 steps. See the following guide!
Ingredients for Smoked mussel and saffron soup:
- 2 lbs fresh mussels.
- 500 ml fish stock.
- 500 ml white wine.
- 500 ml clam nectar.
- 2 sprigs lemon balm.
- 2 stalks lemon grass.
- 2 tsp saffron.
- 2 cups apple wood chips.
- 5 sprigs thyme.
- 1 litre heavy cream.
- 2 strips bacon.
- 125 ml mayonnaise.
- 1 carrot.
- 1 shallot.
- 1 stalk celery.
- 1 baby Yukon gold potato (aka golden nugget).
- 2 gherkin pickles.
Serve the soup in bowls, scattered with the remaining mussels and garnished with a swirl of the remaining. Try this Mussel and Saffron Soup recipe, or contribute your own. Add all mussels to soup and stir in chopped parsley, salt, pepper and cream. While the soup is cooking, remove the mussels from the shells and put aside.
Step by step how to cook Smoked mussel and saffron soup:
- Put white wine, lemon balm, thyme and lemon grass in a sauce pot and reduce by half.
- Place saffron in 1cup of steaming hot water cover and put aside..
- Smoke 10-15 mussels in a skillet. Do this by placing the wood chips in the skillet dry and bringing to a smoulder. Wrap the mussels in tin foil, poke some holes in it and place in the skillet with the wood chips. Cover and smoke for 5-10 mins..
- Once shells have opened, remove meat, place in a blender with the clam nectar and blitz!.
- Combine all liquids except saffron in a sauce pot and bring to a boil..
- Reduce heat to a simmer and liquid to 3/4 of original amount..
- Strain saffron tea through a fine sieve into the broth. Salt and pepper to taste..
- You should now have a vibrant yellow and Smokey broth..
- Fine dice the carrot, shallot, celery, potato and bacon. Sweat until soft and set aside to cool..
- Once all is cool, fine dice the gherkins and mix all together with mayonnaise. Salt and pepper to taste..
- You now have remoulade..
- In a covered sauce pan add saffron broth and enough mussels for 3 mussels per person to be served. *I use clams as well to add variety and texture..
- Place a spoon full of remoulade in the center of a shallow soup bowl..
- Once the mussels have opened in the broth, place them around the remoulade and add the broth..
- Garnish with a nice green herb of your choice and enjoy.
- Chili oil is an optional garnish that adds to the smokey flavour and brings an element of heat to the dish..
Whisk the corn flour mixed with the water into the simmering liquid. The Best Smoked Mussels Recipes on Yummly Green Curry Mussels With Sticky Rice, Brodetto, Mussels Basquaise Style. Add the Maldon Smoked Sea Salt, black pepper and the mussel meat (if you are using frozen mussel meat, there's no need to defrost them). Add the mussel cooking liquid, saffron, and chicken stock and whisk well.