Creamy Ham and Potato Soup - It turned out very good but i think i could have cooked it a little longer.. Today I am sharing this Creamy Ham and Potato Soup! A quick and easy dinner that is ready in under 40 minutes!
You can cook Creamy Ham and Potato Soup with 15 Ingredients and 4 steps. See the following guide!
Ingredients for Creamy Ham and Potato Soup:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil.
- 1 1/2 cup chopped ham.
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter.
- 2 celery stalks, diced.
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced.
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced.
- 3 tbsp. all purpose flour.
- 2 cups unsalted chicken broth.
- 3 cups milk.
- 1/2 tsp. salt.
- 1/4 tsp. each pepper, poultry seasoning.
- 1/4 tsp. salt free all purpose seasoning.
- Pinch nutmeg.
- 4 small (or 2 large) russet potatoes, peeled and diced.
Step by step how to cook Creamy Ham and Potato Soup:
- Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Once it's hot, add the ham and cook, stirring often, until the ham has browned up a bit. Then remove it to a seperate plate and cover the plate with foil to keep it warm..
- Add the butter to the pot. Once the butter has melted, add the celery, carrots and onion with a big pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes, until the veggies have begun to soften. Then stir in the garlic and cook until it's fragrant, another minute or so. Increase the heat to med-high, then sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir to incorporate it. Cook and stir for 2 minutes..
- Slowly pour in the broth while stirring, then add the milk and all of the seasonings. Let it all come up to a low boil. Once it begins to boil, stir in the potatoes and return the ham to the pot, reduce the heat back down to medium and let it simmer for about 10 or so minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender. Then remove from the heat and serve..
- This soup is also very good with some kielbasa or smoked sausage in place of the ham, pictured below..