Bukayo(sweetened coconut spread) - It turned out very good but i think i could have cooked it a little longer.. Today I am sharing this Bukayo(sweetened coconut spread)! A quick and easy dinner that is ready in under 15 minutes! Bukayo is a Filipino dessert made from sweetened coconut strips. It is traditionally made by simmering strips or shredded bits of young, gelatinous coconut (buko) in water and sinuklob, which is sugarcane muscovado sugar melted into a chewy caramel-like consistency. #BUKAYO #Homemade bukayo #Sweet Coconut Let us make bukayo in easy and simple way,It can be eaten as dessert or candy too. The Best Coconut Spread Recipes on Yummly Spicy Apricot Spread, Tuna Spread, Homemade Chocolate Spread. Bukayo is a sweetened coconut strip, a popular Filipino candy.
You can cook Bukayo(sweetened coconut spread) with 6 Ingredients and 6 steps. See the following guide!
Ingredients for Bukayo(sweetened coconut spread):
- 1 kg fresh scraped coconut meat.
- 1/4 kg brown sugar.
- 2 tbsp condensed milk.
- 1 cup evaporated milk.
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
- 1 1/2 cup water.
Sweetened with raw brown sugar and sprinkled with sesame seeds (optional). Bukayo is a Filipino dessert made from sweetened coconut strips. It is traditionally made by simmering strips of young, gelatinous coconut in water and sinuklob, which is sugarcane muscovado sugar melted into a chewy caramel-like consistency. BATWAN - dehydrated batwan, sweetened and dried; local version of the grape prune.
Step by step how to cook Bukayo(sweetened coconut spread):
- I started from scratch. I have 2 coconut and i opened them to get the coconut meat. I scraped it inside..
- Wash it and put it on a pot together with the water.bring it to a boil. You need time and patience to do this because you have to make sure that the coconut will soften. Mix it from time to time until it absorbed half of the water..
- Put the brown sugar and mix it well. Mix it for 3minutes non stop. Let it simmer for a minute and start mixing it again. You will do it multiple timea until it becomes thick..
- Put the evaporated milk and the condensed milk then mix it well. You have to reach a certain consistency by mixing it well. Add the vanilla extract while you slowly mix it..
- When it thickens and has the consistency of a jam, you can turn off the stove and let it cool. In my case, to save some gas i cooked it on charcoal..
- You can eat it while it is hot or you can put it in a jar and refrigerate it..
BIBINGKA - ne of the traditional Filipino meriendas; made of ground sticky rice ,butter and sugar with sometimes grated coconut meat as toppings. BOCARILLO - version of Bokayo or sweetened young coconut. Bukayo is just one of the products made from buko (young coconut). It is an after-dinner treat that Filipino children love. It is made by simmering coco meat strips in coconut water mixed with white or brown sugar (which explains the white or brown color).