Kerala Plum/Fruit Cake - Easy to do and Very moist even after warming up leftovers the next day!. Today I am sharing this Kerala Plum/Fruit Cake! A quick and easy dinner that is ready in under 30 minutes!
You can cook Kerala Plum/Fruit Cake with 17 Ingredients and 15 steps. See the following guide!
Ingredients for Kerala Plum/Fruit Cake:
- 125 grams Butter, softened.
- 110 grams Caster sugar.
- 75 grams Sugar for caramel syrup.
- 60 millilitres water Hot.
- 2 numbers Egg white.
- 2 numbers Egg yolk.
- 150 grams Plain flour.
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder.
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt.
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence.
- 1 teaspoon Lime juice.
- 1 teaspoon Pineapple jam.
- 1 1/2 cups dried fruits Mixed, chopped.
- 1/4 cup Cashew nuts, chopped (lightly roasted).
- 60 millilitres Dark rum.
- 1/2 tablespoon Spice powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon Orange peel, dried and powdered.
Step by step how to cook Kerala Plum/Fruit Cake:
- Preheat oven at 180 °C for 15 minutes. Line base and sides of a deep 20 cm round cake pan with baking paper..
- Beat egg white until peek, keep aside..
- Beat butter and sugar in a bowl with electric mixer until soft and creamy..
- Add egg yolk, one at a time and beat until well combined. Add vanilla essence and lime juice. Add cool caramel syrup and mix well..
- Add sifted flour,baking powder and salt mixture along with egg white and fold well..
- Finally, fold in mixed dried fruits, cashew nuts, pineapple jam, spice powder, dried and powdered orange peel mixture..
- Spread the cake mixture into prepared pan. Bake for around 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan..
- NOTES - Brush top of hot cake with extra rum, if desired..
- For mixed fruits i used a combination of raisins, glaced cherries, candied orange and lemon peel. Chop all the fruits into small pieces and soak them in dark rum for a period of minimum 1 week or until absorbed..
- To avoid sinking, dust the soaked fruits with some sifted flour and baking powder mixture before using..
- To make caramel syrup, combine sugar and little water in a sauce pan. When the sugar melts and becomes dark brown add 60 ml hot water. Melt completely and let it come to room temperature..
- Spice powder is a combination of cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, and dry ginger. Grind all the spices to a fine powder..
- To make dried and powdered orange peel, wash and peel the oranges and cut the peels into thin slices and spread it in a tray and keep under the sun for 3- 4 days, grind into a fine powder..
- For measuring mixed dried fruits and cashewnut i used 250 ml measuring cup..
- Have all the ingredients at room temperature especially butter and egg. Sift together the flour,baking powder and salt..